Tax Tip - Amended Returns

 Permanent link   All Posts

What happens if you filed a tax return and later realize that you omitted income or overlooked some deductions? You can amend your return by filing Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. Generally, you must file your amended return within three years after the date you filed your original return. You cannot change your filing status from Married Filing Jointly to Married Filing Separately after the due date of the original return.